Skip to main content

Reply to "College Scouting of HS Freshman"

Zia2021 posted:

Yes, college coaches (at least some) over the past few years have followed players in 8th and 9th grade. There are 5 D1 commits on our 15u team (only 1 of whom is a "stud"); 2 of those kids committed prior to freshman year. So yes, coaches are well aware of good 15 year old players. It was not uncommon for 8th and 9th grade students to be made a verbal offer prior to the recent recruiting rule change. It remains to be seen whether these changes will slow down the number of young recruits, but based on these recent 2022 and 2024 commits, it doesn't appear the new rules have changed anything. 

https://www.perfectgame.org/Co...centCommitments.aspx 

Well, from that list of nearly 250 recent commits, there is one '24, one '23 and four '22's.  So ,even the four '22's make up less than 2% of that group.  I think, as TPM points out, any time this happens prior to freshman year in HS, there is often more to it than a player showing sure D1 projection as a 7th or 8th grader, particularly to an Ivy.  So, I don't think it is accurate to say that it is not uncommon for 8th and 9th grade students to have offers.  The sample you provide with your link is less than half of one percent for 8th graders and that doesn't take into consideration the many who commit to smaller schools later and/or never announce to PG or elsewhere.  Now, has the meter been moving slightly toward more freshmen?  Yes, but still quite a miniscule number - quite uncommon, IMO.  I would be very interested to hear about the 15u team with 5 D1 commits.  That has to be quite the anomaly.  That said, there are many HS sophomores who qualify to play 15u.  One of my sons was 16 as a senior.