Skip to main content

Reply to "College Scouting of HS Freshman"

TPM posted:
Zia2021 posted:

CABBAGEDAD:  I'm not willing to disclose publicly which 15U team I'm talking about, but it's a midwest team. The kids are all rising sophomores, a few have turned 16 already. They are committed to 5 different D1 schools which are all located in a 3 state midwest region. Two of those schools finished in the top 30 regular season, one of them made it to regionals. 

Ahhh, let's see. Missouri St and Minnesota. 

Why would anyone want to shut themselves off from recruiting as a freshman, unless they have specific ties to specific programs, or they live in the geographical region and plan on not going out of the region to attend school.

Just sayin'.

Neither of those schools. And for the record, I agree with you that early commits generally only benefit the school. I'm not a fan of the early commit. However, that doesn't change the fact that schools across the country are playing the early recruit game.

Opinions on this "early recruit/commit" issue seems to be one of the major divides on this board between those who have been around a long time and us newcomers. For those of us in the 2019-2022 range who have kids going through this journey currently, we have all seen a very recent uptick in early commits in the past 18-24 months. It may not be a true "trend," but there is no denying we have seen lots of early commits over the past year across the country. And I agree with you that it is still a small minority of overall recruits, but it appears to be an increasing minority based on the past 12-18 months. And it remains to be seen whether the new rules will slow this possible trend. The question of whether early commits are a good idea is a whole separate discussion. 

Further evidence that colleges are at least interested in seeing/following young kids:  found out last night from my player that there were 7 D1 schools at his 15U PG tourney game last weekend for sure (maybe others he said). 3 of those were also at the same venue last weekend watching 15Us. These are the same regional schools (not top 10 powerhouse programs) referenced earlier.