Skip to main content

Reply to "College Seniors Returning for Extra Year"

It appears that seniors are returning at about a 70% rate, as someone else mentioned in a previous post. It also seems like coaches are finding money for most of these seniors, often at the expense of incoming freshman recruits. Is that ethical? I would argue that it’s not. But I stated months ago (and some disagreed) that coaches of competitive programs were going to do this. They are going to take a proven performer that they can trust (for another year) over an incoming unproven freshman 100 times out of 100. So I’m gonna assume that most seniors are returning because they are getting money, haven’t yet graduated, and know they are gonna be on the field. They want to finish what they started AND they aren’t yet qualified to enter the work world. I’m the same as Fenway in that I was ready to be done by the end of my senior year 100 years ago, but times are different now. I was walking into a great job market and had a job waiting for me when I graduated. Times are a little different now.