Skip to main content

Reply to "College Sophmore Labrum Surgery"

BBcatch posted:

I understand the danger of opioids...I am a parole officer- lol. Doc gave him 10, 5mg roxicodone (oxycodone w/o the tylenol) which he was told to use sparingly as he would not get more. Suggested he save some for PT. He got a nerve block prior to surgery which was to last 3-5 days, meaning it should be wearing off soon. Thanks for the advice.

Yeah,  my son (pitcher) was had a SLAP tear before his spring season. Found out another player similar injury in the fall of 2014.  They wanted him to take a cortisone shot, fortunately I pull the plug and took him to the doctor to review the issue.  Interesting as he was going for his surgery, we saw a couple of the players that he played high school against having similar surgeries.   Which was a deeper issue as to what the heck is going on with the training at the college level. Long story, he had his surgery in summer 2015, had a perscription of 50, plus another 75.  We used the 50 as perscribed, but I believe even that was too much.  Make sure you get the cryo-cuff to help the burn.

He had to get a second surgery to remove some scar tissue,  no opoids, something lighter and let him deal with the pain.

Good luck on your son recovery.  Tell him, to go through the process, he is no alone.  If you or your son knows a previous player the surgeon had operated on, you can connect with him for post surgery advice.  Your son is going to need a support group.

Good luck.