Skip to main content

Reply to "College Spring Season"

Practice starts in earnest on Friday at The U but there were two inter-squad games last week Thursday and Friday. It still freaks me out to see the kid in the green and orange...

This was the toughest fall season he's had. Work outs stated in Sept. with 4:45 a.m. S&C four days a week and running one afternoon a week at a local park that has a big hill.

The kid spent the winter break throwing with his h.s. teammate now at Rhodes. They both had a "prescribed" workout from their pitching coaches.

Surprisingly the kid finished his first semester with a 3.1 gpa. For some this might not be that great but considering the kid left the house at 4:30 each morning for S&C and had his first class at 8am. We were all very pleased.

Weight training continued during the winter break with the kid working out on campus (20 min. drive from home) where he got to work out with the alumni MLB/MILB players getting in shape for Spring Training. He was one of the few local kids to take advantage of being around the big league boys.

He did say that this was the longest "break" he's had since he tore his ACL his junior year.

We are all looking forward to the first real practice of the spring which is this Friday. Then the First Pitch Banquet is the 12th, and the season starts on the 18th.

I am still in the pinch me stage. Nothing like seeing a kid who worked so hard to make his dream come true, live it.