Skip to main content

Reply to "College Spring Season"

Ok, I know that this is weird, but miracles do happen....

My son Nick, the one with all of the knee surgeries, really-really-really wanted to go on his team's last road trip of the year --to Florida, he loves Florida---but the coach said no. Nick told him that he could pitch (although he hadn't pitched since 2006--he had Tommy John surgery in '07). By the way, the doctor from up here told him "no side to side" motion.

The coach had him throw a bullpen on Wednesday--the team left for the trip on Thursday.
After a few pitches, the coach asked him the last time he pitched? The last time he threw a curve ball? He went on the trip.

Not only did he go on the trip, but he came in the game in the 8th inning.....pitched the one inning-- his first game since May of 2009 and three surgeries later....He faced 4 batters: one fly out, one walk, one ground out and one strike out looking! You have no idea how proud I am.

I was at my daughters' softball double-header, the woodman was sort-of at home, listening to the game on the computer with the phone up to the speakers so I could hear it.....the fun part was his strike-out---the number 3 hitter whose on-base percentage is .603 and batting average .366..... and the announcer said, "What a curve ball for strike three! All the batter could do was walk back to the dug-out, shaking his head". They played a really good team. They lost both games, the first by a respectable score, the second, not so much...it was ugly.

Nick may never get another inning in another game. This may have been it. But he never expected to put on a uniform, never mind to play again. He had so much fun.
This was one of the best gifts he's ever received.

Thank you so much for letting me (I hope you don't think brag) share this amazing news. I am so happy for him and so proud that he found a way to play again before it truly is over.
Last edited by play baseball