Skip to main content

Reply to "College Spring Season"

Well, fenwaysouth jr's (freshmen) season ended today. They had a non-confernce makeup game today that got cancelled, and will not be rescheduled. His team got a lot of seniors in this weekend when they were mathematically eliminated. I really feel for the seniors and their families, as some will not play baseball again. I guess it is part of the circle of baseball life. That will be my son and some of his teammates in a few years, but I try not to think about that too much.

It was an exciting year full of ups and downs as freshmen pitching parents. The coaches seemed to have a definite plan for my son. His first college appearance was against #1 UVA when they were down a bunch of runs (in relief). It was his "forging steel", or "oh sh*t" moment as I like to call it. Then he came in middle relief for a few innings during some Spring Break games, and did well. Then he started a mid-week non-conference game at home, which was followed by a weekend conference start at home. This was followed by starting some conference games away. It was a steady progression of gaining experience, learning, and increased responsibility.....makes sense. My wife and I really enjoyed talking to the player's parents, and listening to all the team stories. Pretty interesting stuff. There are so many lessons learned. Most of all, I think I learned to relax and enjoy the moment when my son was on the mound. I genuinely appreciate the opportunity, his hard work, and everything about the game of baseball. I can't wait for next year! Big Grin