Skip to main content

Reply to "College Summer Baseball Leagues"

Spots open for pitchers around mid-season as arms go down, go home, or reach innings limits. I get a lot of e-mails from players looking for spots. Inevitably we are full up but I try to help them with their communications. I have gotten e-mails that don't even tell the name of their school, some that don't tell their positions played-it's amazing. I often write back and offer pointers, most often to "Sell Yourself", emphasize what you do best, give supporting stats, and a coach contact with phone number and e-mail.   If you have anything unique to offer, mention it. One player mentioned he sings a great national anthem, one could play it on the trumpet. If you have speed and can run the bases well, mention that. It's a sales job, just don't go too overboard...but present a positive image. A lot of players bail during the last part of the season so if you're willing to come for whatever season  is left, say so. We once had a team finish in our league with 10 players. They had a lousy season (won 5 out of 42), injuries, everything imaginable happened. They would have loved to find players for the last week.   Pro-active is the key, and if your coach isn't (some just aren't), then you do it.    

Last edited by hokieone