Skip to main content

Reply to "College Summer League Placement"

RipkenFanSon played in American Legion after his freshman year and also on a senior men's city competitive league, and some NECBL late call up. Following his sophomore year, he sought to go back to NECBL or other good summer league. I kept asking him to follow up with his college coach on placement. Some times he said "It's early", other times he told me he didn't want to bother his college coach. As it turns out RC thought he had an internship and wasn't looking, fortunately he was able to get in Hamptons leagues, very late in placement.

After his junior year, he took matters in his own hands. He directly contacted 6-8 GMs of the NECBL in the fall. I think he heard from most and received two positive responses. The team he played with, put his "signing" up on twitter- second signed of team. Son had all his stats--it was pretty much an interview. The GM  later told me that some of his calls (due diligence) were to rival schools who spoke highly of him. Really a different set of circumstances.

To the OP, What we've noticed is that certain schools had "slots" on certain teams in certain leagues, usually 2 slots so that they can share housing. The college coach does play a big role. Also some teams of certain leagues won't take a non-D1, unless that person is a standout, or top Juco (not as many of those in Northeast). You could also check the rosters of leagues and see who the commits are so far for summer 2021, and what colleges the players attend for a data point.