Skip to main content

Reply to "College Summer League questions/advice"

KYLE31,  I played in the PGCBL in 2018, although as my handle may give away as a pitcher. Our team all thoroughly enjoyed their experience. Depending on how they decide to split the divisions this year with Jamestown coming back into the mix teams will get to know each other very quickly. Our division consisted of 4 teams total, who you play probably close to 50% if not more of your games against. We typically played 6 games a week, and never stayed in hotels. Typical bus rides were probably around 2 hours each way, some of the longer trips that we only had to make once or twice throughout the season were closer to 3 or 4 each way. 

Our coach did a good job of getting all of our position guys work, they played mostly on some sort of rotation, with middle infielders rotating around, and catchers and corner guys rotating. Outfielders rotated throughout positions as well, although judgement was used and the guys who were out there for their bats not their speed didn't really get put in center. Some of the more critical position players played a bit more especially as the playoffs neared, but overall no one spent a ton of time sitting. 

The quality of the league was pretty good, a lot of younger guys from some big d1s, especially pitchers. Amsterdam always puts together a great team. Other than that some mid-major guys as well as a mix of JUCO and some older D2 and D3 guys who have done well at their level but may have had a hard time getting into more prestigious leagues. 

Fans were hit or miss, usually depended on the night of the week and what events teams were hosting, but some drew more than a few thousand (Saugerties on a 1 dollar beer night was packed). 

If you have any other questions feel free to pm me or ask on here if there is anything more general that I may have missed.