Skip to main content

Reply to "College Summer League Rosters"

@adbono posted:

What a player should do the summer after his senior year in HS is dependent on a number of things. A pitcher that throws a lot of innings in the HS spring season won’t have the same needs as a kid that had limited mound time. A position player might need time to heal from an injury. Another might need as many at bats as possible. So there is no “one fits all” answer. But there are a couple of aspects that haven’t been discussed. One is the mental aspect of playing college baseball - and hardly any HS senior really knows what that is all about. Therefore it is helpful to spend time around college players before arriving on campus to observe the difference in attitude and work ethic displayed by college players vs the HS grab ass that they are accustomed to. Another difference maker is the type of college program that a HS player is reporting to. You can afford to be a little more cavalier about your preparation at most D3 programs than you can at most D1 programs. However, if you are advancing to a competitive program, that competes for championships, you best put your best foot forward on day one regardless of what number follows the D.

the bolded is spot on, the question is what is the best way and timeline for that to happen.

Some HS grads may be ready for it, however I don't think most June grads are ready to up and move to a host family play ball 6 days a week with travel, learn to be on their own, get / get in better shape while away, prepare for the actual school part of college and be in the best mental position to be successful in late august to start school.

I love college ball players, i have some amazing stories that have been shared with me from my son and couple of roommates after they graduated and the stunts they pulled both good and well not so good. Freshman get indoctrinated into that quickly enough but it isn't full bore from day 1 on campus. Some of the summer league stories I have been told are epic and they aren't pretty. The vast majority of incoming freshman aren't ready for upperclass men who are cutting loose for the summer with very limited mentorship.

The son you you have in May after the freshman year is entirely different then the one who you drop off in August. At least in the school year there are program support systems, coaches, academic advisors and so on. In the summer it is a free for all.