Skip to main content

Reply to "College Summer League Rosters"

Couple of things:  UT does a 3-300 yard shuttle timed run first day back after Christmas every year.  Son has been worried every year because he is just not fast.  He put a lot of work in every year and this year was most confident.  You do not practice until you pass it.  His freshman year his roommate never passed it and finally quit.  But he also did nothing to get better at it.  Didn't work out, change eating habits, run more.  Just came in every day and tried to run it before practice.  Usually failed the first one and went home.  After about a week of it, the seniors took his stuff out of his locker and moved it to the old lockerroom, storage room.  Told him when he cared enough to get it done he could have his locker back.

The best advice I would give is that if the coaches want you to come in during the summer semester to get acclimated then do it.  The three years that son has been at UT and I have been following it closely at his and other P5 schools where he has buddies.  No player except one has played his freshman year with any consistency, most got let go after first year, that did not come in during summer.  It is a great time to learn how it is done from classes, study hall, weight room, workouts, practice schedule, terminology and build relationships.  Most do not take time to teach all of that after school starts and most P5 schools, the upper classmen will send you home if you mess up their workouts, weights, or practices.  I think it is seen as a disrespect to the program not to invest before school starts.