Skip to main content

Reply to "College Summer League Rosters"

@PitchingFan posted:

Couple of things:  UT does a 3-300 yard shuttle timed run first day back after Christmas every year.  Son has been worried every year because he is just not fast.  He put a lot of work in every year and this year was most confident.  You do not practice until you pass it.  His freshman year his roommate never passed it and finally quit.  But he also did nothing to get better at it.  Didn't work out, change eating habits, run more.  Just came in every day and tried to run it before practice.  Usually failed the first one and went home.  After about a week of it, the seniors took his stuff out of his locker and moved it to the old lockerroom, storage room.  Told him when he cared enough to get it done he could have his locker back.

Seems unnecessary. And I get it, I really do - the whole it's not about the running, it's about the preparation.

But not letting someone practice because they can't run ____ in _______ seconds or minutes is silly considering it's a game where you run max 360 feet at any given time. I'm as anti-coddling as they come but how about they put more time into his bullpens or his BP rounds and stop worrying about the running?

Makes absolutely no sense to me how coaches will only watch their top 20-25 guys practice but watch 26-40 on the roster like hawks when it comes time to condition.

Maybe that's why UT is competing for a CWS and we're on at large watch every year. Not sure, but from a lot of what I've heard from friends and guys in other programs it seems like there is a lot of time wasted on useless activities and a lot of ignoring guys who could become contributors if they got a little more attention