Skip to main content

Reply to "College Summer League Rosters"

@HSDad22 posted:

"He doesn't recruit...PO's".. , regarding competition.  A PO who competes every single pitch vs. a position player who competes 20-30 plays/at bats a week.  I'd say it's at least equal on that level.  Sounds more like a philosophy he just made up in his head rather than one that has any sound reasoning.  IF he just said he needs to make sure he has flexibility on the roster, I'd take that...but I'd take the mental toughness and compete level of a pitcher over a position player any day of the weeks.   Besides, compete level is really an individual thing, not a position thing.

Despite being a former PO, there is no bias in that opinion whatsoever

And when you get your own team to skipper, you're free to stock it with as many HS POs as you'd like.  If it's as simple as "something he made up in his head" then man, did he ever get lucky.  Like REALLY lucky!  THIS lucky:

Routinely sends 2/3 of his roster on to D1s, regularly has top 20 team GPAs in the NJCAA, has won 30+ games each season for 10  years straight, is the winningest coach in the history of the program and has very low negative attrition.

Try and find more than 20 Jucos in the country that are just as "lucky."  Feel free to dislike his approach, but if you're going to argue it's not a good one, you're going to have to work a little harder than that considering the results.  Again, he does have POs on his roster.  It's guys who have been POs PRIOR to college that he isn't a fan of.  My kid is short and Altuve is amazing, but you won't find me questioning the reasoning of coach's who prefer bigger kids to smaller ones.