Skip to main content

Reply to "College Summer Leagues-The Times They Are a Changing"

I think for a lot of kids, summer ball is hard and even a little isolating.  I had no idea how bad my son's experience was until the host family organizer came to talk to me at his last game.  He had been placed 30 minutes from town on a farm.  The host family did not cook for him, or even pay much attention to him. They went out of town most weekends.  I saw on his debit card that he literally ate at Kwik shop almost every day.  Apparently, they were no longer going to allow the family to host and the organizer apologized profusely.  I guess his roommate, that left after a few weeks had shared his experience with the organizer.  They had to be at the field at 2 or earlier for away games and when they finished at 10 or 2, if they were on a bus, everything was closed.  He never told me once that it was bad (because he said I would try to fix it).  At the end of a long season, he asked if he could drive his car home (24 hour drive) and fly back for his last start.  They told him no.  That gave him 3 days at home before reporting to school.  He's literally been that kind of kid for the past two years...do everything they ask, don't complain even if it's not helping you.  At this point, sadly, I don't think he has had coaches that actually care much.  I told him that at this point, play for himself, make decisions for himself, be selfish.  Someone has to look out for the kids sometimes and unfortunately, it may have to be them.  I wouldn't be so quick to judge them as selfish, they may just have eyes open now.  That said, I agree, you never need to be rude or appear unappreciative to people that are being gracious.