Skip to main content

Reply to "College Summer Leagues-The Times They Are a Changing"

- because according to Fenway, no-one likes baseball any more anyway

@anotherparent - That's a lot of literary license you took there.  Not even close to what I said or meant.  I was pointing out macro trends in MLB/MiLB/NCAA baseball that have a definite impact on college summer baseball.  Also, the economy isn't doing so great right now and if Mom and Dad are funding the summer college baseball experience then possibly they are thinking twice.

All - Full disclosure:  My oldest son did not play college summer baseball at all.  He had opted out all 3 years.  He worked to pay for his portion of a private college, and he felt he needed a rest after being a starting pitcher in the regular season.  All 3 of my sons had some financial responsibility in their college selection.

His first college summer job was working for a civil engineering firm at a waste water treatment facility.   If you need a further description of what it is like to work at a waste water facility in the hot Virginia summer, please PM me.   His second and last summer internship was working as a GE engineering intern.  GE hired him prior to  college graduation.  Again, he didn't feel the need to pitch in the summers.  His college coaches pre-approved this as this was a question (summer ball vs internship) my son asked when he was being recruited. There were no surprises.

My point is summer college baseball is not for everyone, and there are reasons (financial or otherwise) to not play.  If your son has aspirations to play baseball professionally then playing in a college summer league is essential.  However,  my son had no aspirations of becoming a professional baseball player so it made sense to him to do an engineering internship.  I'm wondering if more college players are opting out of college summer baseball to get work experience plus the economy is a little jittery right now....a dollar is not going nearly as far as it used to.  Just a thought.....     

Just my opinion and experiences.....

Last edited by fenwaysouth