Skip to main content

Reply to "College Summer Leagues-The Times They Are a Changing"

Ha…quite the recap  @anotherparent.  Here’s our story and where I stand.

Son had discussions with a few MLB teams prior to this year’s draft, as a potential late pick.  With a low/No SB, we made it clear he’d return to school and graduate.

I do believe son has ability to linger in the minors for a few years, but most likely his ceiling.  Pitchers in MLB either throw 100 or have devastating breaking stuff.  Rare air stuff.

Son recently brought up grad school option for his Covid year.  It broke my heart, but my response was it’s time to start thinking about life after baseball.  If grad school was to just play another year, I wouldn’t recommend taking on debt just to play another year.  Plus, we’ve had to support him financially, on top of a very expensive school, bc he has little time to earn much money on his own. Either get drafted next year or give Indy ball a shot, then move on.

To answer your question, I think as the years go by, you need to start thinking about the next 40 and life after baseball. The closer you get to the business side of the game, the more it separates the talent pools.

I respect @hokieone for what he does, but summer ball is probably somewhere in between creating opportunities for kids and a business.  Hopefully, this thread shows not all players have a “Me First” attitude, rather life is pulling players and families in multiple directions and difficult decisions need to eventually be made.

Last edited by CTbballDad