Skip to main content

Reply to "College Summer Leagues-The Times They Are a Changing"

@anotherparent  nice post!  I was also kind of surprised by some of the negative comments.

If a player does not want to go play summer ball, there is no rule that says he has to. If he wants to go home, work, work out, be with his GF, that's ok. Tell the coach.

However, if the player needs at bats or innings, he really should play. If he isn't playing he should contact his coach who sent him. Also know that most college coaches speak to their players often during the summer. If your son has no contact with their coaches, that tells you something right there. Enough said.

Remember, as mentioned, there are plenty of local leagues your sons can play in and sleep in their own bed. And yes it's hot! Very.

Son didn't go to the Cape his first year, he was beat, his freshman year he logged about 80 innings. He spent his summer up at the lake with other players and made some money helping in camp, he needed a break from baseball, which many do. I completely agree with that.

Second summer he went to the Cape and played at Falmouth. Loved everything about it, loved his host family (still keeps in touch on FB). Host dad took them fishing on days off. As a starter at college, he was a reliever. Kept his innings down.

For all of those complaining, son was required to work 5 mornings a week for a few hours (no sleeping in) up at the field for camps. The money he earned was for weekly payment of $50 for his host family. He lived in a beautiful home and food was always in the fridge for him and his 2 teammates. We came to visit and host family took us out for lobster. The summer cost nothing for us but gas in his truck. He played in the all star game and went to Fenway paid by the league.  When host family was drafted they sent him a tie with STL logo. He did well in summer ball and I believe that helped in the draft.  Clemson played in Omaha, so when they were done they had to come home have exit interviews unpack and pack again and head to the Cape.

I have a friend whose son just went to his first summer program. He said it was crazy 2500-3000k. Savannah Banana type of antics and contests, prizes. He loved it but did have to leave early.

As a pitcher most do not practice in Junior fall ball but have instruction. Coaches realize players need time off and rest.

hokieone has been a long standing member of our community and GM of Strasburg Express. Again, surprised at some of the remarks. FWIW, he gave son his first coaching job out of college as pcoach and they were champions that summer. His host family treated him like a son.

As I posted in another topic, kids are different these days. Many are self centered and it's all about them. I kind of wonder if that's why that player that hokieone mentioned was in the portal!