Skip to main content

Reply to "College Summer Leagues-The Times They Are a Changing"

Wow, some interesting replies. For those that have sons that aspire to pro ball...that's probably 99% of them...a pro scout once called a team in our league to check their schedule as he wanted to see a particular player. The scout was told the player said he was "tired' and had gone home the previous week (about 35 games into a 42 game schedule). The scout's words: "That's great, I can take him off of my list. If he can't handle a 42 game schedule, he sure can't handle a minor league or major league schedule with triple that many games."   An under-rated part of summer ball is that players need to learn to get their sleep, get their rest, get their work in, and take care of their body...for 2 months, not 6 months as in the MLB, but a goods learning situation nevertheless.    It's not just a mid-week game and 3 more on weekends. With rain outs to be made up, occasionally we play 9-10 nights in a row. The coaches get guys nights off and it's a lot of games...but nothing like Milb or MLB.   For pitchers, pitch counts are closely monitored and the Pitch Smart rules are strictly enforced, but they too need to learn the value of getting into a routine, getting their work in, and getting their rest.   And quite a few pitchers have improved their golf game during the summers as well.       But I can tell you that the hard workers are noticed and whether in calls from college coaches shopping the portal or calls from scouts, a solid work ethic is always mentioned and always well-received.