Skip to main content

Reply to "College Summer Leagues-The Times They Are a Changing"

Good conversation here as I can see both points very clearly.   HokieOne's 99% could apply to the freshmen or underclassmen who think they are on the fast track to MLB.  But I also see old_schools 25% applying to guys who have been around the block and seen exactly how difficult it is to 1) get playing time 2) get drafted or 3) just play anywhere at the next level.  I clearly understand the problem, but I don't have a solution.

When we first started at HSBBWeb many moons ago (son was a freshman in high school), I read a lot but did not post or contribute at all.   There was one post I remember very clearly, and it really stuck with me.   The point was that baseball (in general) is going to eventually chew you up and spit you out whether that was in high school, college, MiLB or MLB.   Everybody has a different timetable, but eventually baseball will come to an end on terms dictated to you.   Some of us can understand it, embrace it and prepare for it was kind of the gist of it.   Others don't or won't acknowledge it.   I think my son at 17 years old understood this (he's an old soul) as I explained it to him .  He decided he was going to turn the tables and use baseball as best he could for as long as he could until he could do something else professionally with as much passion as he had for baseball.  Honestly, I think more kids and young adults are thinking this way, and reading stories about the minor league salaries, conditions, less teams and more opportunities for world athletes (Latinos and Asians) to compete in US baseball.  Are kids today more practical, savvy and realistic?  I don't know the answer to that, but I know one kid who was.   

JMO.

Last edited by fenwaysouth