Skip to main content

Reply to "College Summer Leagues-The Times They Are a Changing"

Before there’s any misperception of what I’m about to post I understand pitchers hitting their pitching limit and injuries happen. If a player is returning to college in the fall to compete for a position he wants his injuries/dings to be healed.

Otherwise, the first time a person does something it can be hard. The more they do it the easier it gets. It applies to improving in anything. It also applies to quitting. Once a person has quit once it gets easier and easier each time.

If a player quits his summer league team it’s just practice for quitting on his college team if the fall doesn’t go well. Almost everyone on a college roster is capable of starting. The studs at the top of the roster are a given. After the it becomes about who is mentally tougher. It’s about those who are physically ready and mentally tougher than the rest. They’re the players who are all in when opportunity knocks.

Sports experiences often carry over to adult life post baseball. Learning how to quit in baseball can carry over to a person’s professional life.

This said, I give a pass to those who have hit the wall baseball talent wise but recognize they’re at the right school academically. It’s more likely to occur with D3 players. There isn’t another level to move down. There are also some HA D1’s that would be an exception.

If my son was at Harvard or similar and baseball wasn’t working out he wouldn’t be leaving. If he considered it my response would be, “Are you out of your bleep’n mind? You can still go play in a semi pro or MABL summer league.”

Personally, I was tired of the summer Sunday doubleheaders by the end of the season. I looked forward to a couple of weeks without baseball. But after those two weeks I couldn’t wait to get started with fall ball.

I was the kid growing up if there wasn’t anyone to play with a was throwing a rubber ball against the garage. Or I was playing Start O Matic by myself. I couldn’t get enough baseball.

I had great memories this week watching the last two games of the ‘67 season (Sox against the Twins). The regular season ended with Jim Lomborg carried off the field on his teammates shoulders. I was twelve.

After college other than going to a few Dodgers and Angels games I was more into becoming a competitive beach volleyball player. It’s a sport where you’re short at 6’1”.

Remember when fans stormed the field in celebration?

https://youtu.be/uUQQj5Q-fy0

Last edited by RJM