Skip to main content

Reply to "College Summer Leagues-The Times They Are a Changing"

@old_school posted:

I think you hit the nail on the head here, realistically maybe 25% should have pro aspirations or some number way below 99%

I also think the season isn't 2 months. The season starts 6 to 7 days a week in January for these guys and basically is a year round gig with a few breaks. Add in the class time, the fact that they aren't professionals yet and maturity is a bog part of that. Academics are a way bigger part of the picture for baseball players then some other sports...the list goes on.

I think baseball as an entity asks for a tremendous commitment while not providing many of the perks that football and basketball provide.

They also play a 60 game season that rolls right into summer ball. If you're in the NW league where they're playing 70 game seasons you're playing 130 games while going to school and doing whatever else. A+ plays a 130 game season and they have over a month left.

I'm not anti summer ball, but I am anti blind dedication. I understand why players get annoyed when the only time they have off they're being told they have to go somewhere they don't really want to be and what they're competing for is not nearly as significant in their college season.

If you need reps, innings absolutely. If you want to increase draft status sure. But there are a lot of kids who don't fit those two categories that would probably prefer to be somewhere else and I don't really blame them. There are alternate routes to summer ball that can be valuable in their own way