Skip to main content

Reply to "College Summer Leagues-The Times They Are a Changing"

I have to say this is kind of discouraging.  I know my son as a late blooming kid who had very little experience on the mound when he got an offer to play in college (all potential, effective but no polish), would love to put in a year or two of summer league.  He'd be fortunate to be given that opportunity and it would all be just to be a better college pitcher.  It would be a shame to have that attitude all around him.

I think leagues should know who they are, and the kids in them should know why they are in that league.  A "collegiate" league is for college athletes to get more reps if they need them,  leagues like the cape are for showcasing potential pro talent.  One should not try to be the other and players should not think the league is supposed to be more than it is.  If you are there for the right reason and are in the right league for that reason, I can't find a logical reason for any kid to bail on that outside of injury, etc.

Now horrible host families and the like are an issue the leagues need to deal with and players should speak up about it.  Is there a probation period for host families with oversight.  Exit interviews with players and host families, etc.