Skip to main content

Reply to "College Summer Leagues-The Times They Are a Changing"

@Consultant posted:

Fenway, it is Summer Leagues like Hokie's that survive each year relying on the "commitment" of the player who is invited.

The question: Why are you playing?

If the player is not 100% for the experience, then HE should not join the TEAM. His future employer will ask that question.

Bob

I believe that for a large percentage of players the why is because i am told, from that point they if they want to stay relevant in the program they have no choice. Baseball already proudly proclaimed there is no loyalty, you can and will be replaced in a moment at any level. There really is little choice if you want to stay in the program you currently reside at. It may be a choice but it is a choice staring down the barrel of the gun as they say.

As far as his future employer will ask, well outside of baseball you are incorrect. The vast majority of these kids won't play pro and I promise you their future employer won't give a damn. As a side note, they aren't joining teams they are being placed on them...big difference. But none of that seems to matter because everyone want to believe manage and operate as if we are MLB training ground...it is supposed to be college baseball not Milb.

Why is the concept of loyalty so hard to figure out? When organizations show none or little, they will receive none or very little back. Baseball is actually quite proud of it being survival of the fittest and that nobody is safe....the narcaissism in mind blowing.