Skip to main content

Reply to "College Summer Leagues-The Times They Are a Changing"

A "typical" CEO/GM day, at least for me:   7:30 a.m. drive into town and set out "sandwich board" signs for the night's game. During the morning, I will receive an e-mail with the umpires for tonight's game that I forward to the head coach.  Usually I receive an e-mail from my son  who does all of our players recruiting if any roster changes have occurred. 12:00-1:00 p.m. Once or twice a week, go to the field and mow the area outside of the fences, 4:00-4:30, head to the field to make sure the interns have cups and water/Gatorade (the home guys get the Gatorade) to both dugouts prior to BP. BP starts at 5:00. Take programs/rosters to gift shop, 5:00-6:30, obtain lineups and have interns write-up a larger print version for the PA announcer (me), make sure scorekeeper gets lineups into the computer (Pointstreaks), confirm in game activity plans with interns, confirm nightly giveaways, get info for any game sponsors for that night to announce, 6:50 start announcements, player introduction, get microphone to National Anthem singer for the night, 7:00-9:45ish, game. My particular duties are I do the PA, music, and scoreboard. Also in the press box are our scorekeeper and on-line game announcer (and the baseball talk up there as we all work is always enjoyable, especially sweetly glaring or throat-clearing at the scorer if we disagree with a hit/error decision). After the game ends, visit with the first lady a bit, clean up and shut down the press box, along with interns empty all trash cans and make sure all trash is picked up. Grab some of the post-game meal (provided by volunteers every home game), talk with visiting parents, make sure things are cleaned up and locked up, go around town and put away the "sandwich board' signs. Get home anywhere from 1O:45 to 11:45.   Discuss whatever the first lady wants to discuss about the game and life, and hopefully sound asleep by midnight.  And Away games are just great-I get to be a spectator, doing none of  the above, but my wife and I go to every away game.   Fortunately in the Valley League our trips are relatively short-2 teams are 2 hours away but most are 20-30 minutes.      We play 42 games, plus playoffs.   And while we have a lot of fun as we work, when the season ends, we exhale and enjoy some free time.