Skip to main content

Reply to "College Summer Leagues-The Times They Are a Changing"

@TPM posted:

So on one hand we have a situation where parents are complaining their players are sitting on the bench because the coach picked up older guys from the portal and then on the other hand we have parents stating players do not want to go play summer ball because it's not something they want to do but the coach is forcing them to do it.

What happened to the player going away and playing like an all star and proving to the coach he deserves to get off the bench and be in the line up?

I think that CBI hit the nail on the head. Coach is making a player go away instead of sitting on his butt all summer playing video games.

Why not talk to the coach about a plan for an alternative and see what happens.

I don't think it's that they do not want to play summer ball, because you are right.  If you are playing baseball in college, you should have no excuse not to be playing over the summer, except for the obvious reasons.  With collegiate leagues, amateur leagues,  etc. there should be a place for everyone to play.  If you are a kid playing college baseball and you think sitting at home all summer playing video games is going to get you anywhere, then you deserve to be sitting on that bench!

I think the points being made are that with the changing times there might need to be some changes to some of these college leagues as well.   

1.  From what I understand, years ago there used to be just a handful of college summer leagues and if you were chosen to play on one of them, you were a possible draft pick or at the very least a top player in your program.  So playing in one of those leagues was a huge deal!  Now with so many more leagues (businesses) starting, there is pretty much a spot for anyone who wants to go that route so is it still such an elite situation?  Maybe for the few top programs.  Correct me if I am wrong, but there probably weren't any D3 players playing in the NWL a few years ago and now by the end of the season, there are a lot of them!  Again, correct me if I am wrong.  Just trying to understand. 

2.  With only 11.7 scholarships, when are kids supposed to make money (work) to be able to pay for the rest of their tuition??  If you have a kid who is obviously not going to go in the draft, getting a 20-30% scholarship and his HC coach tells him he must go (here) to play summer baseball, that's adding a huge stress for him and his family to pay for the other part of their schooling.  We had a player go in the draft last year and worked every summer cutting and hauling trees!  He made money AND built muscle!!  Never played summer ball and still got drafted.

3.  I have said this before, but the transferring of schools and kids having to find new homes while they are playing somewhere else, is tough. 

4.  Summer ball is great for getting reps in, but don't expect any development.  You are on your own for that.

5.  More entitled kids??  Less work ethic than years past?  Maybe.  I hope it has more to do with the pressure that kids have these days to perform and always be "the best" than it does actual work ethic but who knows.

Just all my thoughts...