Skip to main content

Reply to "College Team Prospect Camp"

PlayWithEffort posted:

I have seen many college prospect camps advertised on various schools' web sites that are intended for a player who is interested in playing for that school getting evaluated by the school's coaching staff.

I recently came across a Team Prospect Camp at a power 5 program where entire teams attend the camp and play a series of games on the campus. Day 1 consists of typical showcase and day 2 and 3 consist of 7 inning games. 

I know it's common to have showcase / travel teams play on college campuses but this is the first team camp I've seen advertised where it looks like it's first come / first serve and anyone that has a team can sign up. 

Is this common?

My son's travel team played in a similar event every year.  It used to be held at Temple, - now at St Joes in Philly.   Really good event -  they did the typical workout on the first morning- then played games.  Coaches from many schools ranging from D1 to DIII attended.  The interesting twist was that the teams coaches backed off and the college coaches each were assigned to coach teams.  It allowed the coaches to get to know the players in the dugout and there was some great interaction.   the coaches also held a Q/A session for the parents on the recruiting process, was very helpful.    I really liked the format, and many kids were recruited and signed based on this event- from DIII to DI.    I thought this was the most useful "showcase" type of event that we ever attended and I hope he keeps going to this for the sake of the younger kids coming up through our program.