Skip to main content

Reply to "College Team Prospect Camp"

PlayWithEffort posted:

Ozone: That makes sense and I'm sure the program benefits from putting on the event. 

KandKFunk and CabbageDad: Both of your experiences are what I've heard about as well. I have no first hand experience yet but my son might get the opportunity over the next couple of years. 

I agree that is a cost effective approach and it seems like a good way to get on campus in front of the school's coaches but isn't that also what the School's Prospect Camp is for? 

Regarding the comment about needing to be something special to get noticed in this format....I don't disagree. It seems like you need to be pretty special regardless of format . If you are interested in the school, however, doesn't it make sense to try to showcase or camp there and see if they are interested? 

I absolutely think it's a great opportunity. I am all for attending camps if you think it will help in any way. There are a lot of reasons to attend a camp, whether it's a team camp or an individual one. My son did one as a freshman to understand what coaches are looking for and to sort of work out the butterflies. It was the first time he had ever thrown a formal bullpen and I came to this board to educate myself and him on what is entailed in actually throwing a bullpen. It was a great learning opportunity.  

I also heard about showcase baseball teams from this board and that's what I would classify his 16U team as. I specifically looked for a team that attends these team camps and offers a program to showcase the talent rather than just trying to win tournaments. It was more cost effective and also allowed him to play concurrently on a good AAA Legion team, so he got a lot of games in over the summer for reps. I never would have known to look for these types of opportunities if it had not been for advice from this board. He is still playing for the same club this summer, but on their 18U/College Prep team. It is, in my estimation, the most competitive 18U team in our area. It is stacked with D1 and high level JUCO commits who have been placed on the team by their coaches for the summer. There are a handful of uncommitted kids and mine is one of them (he is a 2018). There are very few open spots on this team each year and he absolutely would not have this playing opportunity if I had not gotten the advice on this board to pursue the team. Opportunity comes in many different varieties.