Skip to main content

Reply to "College Teams - Exclusive Bat deals?"

3and2Fastball posted:

....................................................................................

Maybe I didn't ask my question clearly enough:  how many D1's are there where you can swing whatever type bat you want?  Are they all under exclusive deals?

Not many D! teams have a bat choice.   Even a mid-level to low level D1 is required to swing specific bat under contract.  That was the case with my son's former team.   One year it was Nike, next year it was Rawlings, next year DiMarini, etc...  What was funny to me (pitchers Dad) is to listen to the yearly complaints (through my son) about the bats.  It was the same complaints every year no matter the manufacturer.   He got a kick out of it as well.  I'd see other teams with the same bats work just fine.   It was one of those things that made me go....hmmm.  ;-)

You have to remember baseball is not a revenue generating sport at most schools even some in the Power 5.  So, any money thrown their way that can go to the program is gladly accepted.   Very few programs have negotiating power to put sponsors against each other and some times those financial decisions are made by the AD that got piggybacked off of a football or basketball contract.  My son's team and all the teams in his conference are operationally self funded by sponsors, and alumni donations.  So, can bet any money & equipment thrown their way is more than welcome.

As always just my experience and opinion.