Skip to main content

Reply to "College Uniform Numbers"

Well, I've always wondered, it seems like low number guys are the starters.  Most higher number guys are not starting (except for a few cases).   Is this real, or am I imagining it?

There's definitely something to that.  The better players and the guys that have been in the program for a while and contribute tend to get first choice (along with seniority guys - but a lot of guys that don't play don't stick around in the program so, sort of the same thing).  A player's first choice is typically what they had before or same as someone they follow.

Remember, most HS programs will only carry a roster of between 15-25 guys and will quite often order uniforms numbered 1 thru however many uni's they buy (18-30ish) and go the simple logical route of lowest numbers are smallest sizes, next lowest are mediums, etc.  Some HS's will also add in some famous player numbers but those are rarely high numbers (say, 45 and up).

So, when players get to college, they often pick a # they had in HS when given the choice.  If not, they pick another they are familiar with - also usually a relatively lower #.

There are plenty of exceptions to this but I think it generally has merit.