Skip to main content

Reply to "College vs draft - scout attention"

baseballhs posted:

It’s a good process and good experience.  The entire goal of the scouts coming to the house is to determine signability.  They do not want to draft you high if you aren’t going to sign because they lose that pick but also the slot money associated.  If it is non negotiable, just tell them when they ask that you feel strongly that he needs to go to college.  I would never talk in absolutes.  I would also start interviewing the advisors. They can be helpful in navigating this and should be fine with your current plan of waiting until college to go in the draft.  They can help you with what to say or how to approach the situations .  We are going through the same thing and I think it’s all a learning opportunity.  Our son doesn’t know for sure what he wants and this gives him a broader knowledge base. There is really no reason to not go through the process.  

Great advice above and a good plan to follow.

I am NOT a fan of going pro out of HS. It's completely different from what you think that it might be, so it's good to learn all about it before draft day.  There are a lot of things to consider, that can be a different discussion on a different day.

I am going to ask backdorslider to weigh in, as his son, a top pitching prospect in 2018, chose Vanderbilt over the draft. That choice isn't available to everyone, everyone's situation is different.