Skip to main content

Reply to "College vs draft - scout attention"

"I laughed about from this past AFL season. He rented a house with 6, 2015 guys from the Atlanta area. He, along with his college roommate were the only two who went to college instead of the draft."

Some interesting things in this segment.

First, for those who dont know, the "AFL" is the Arizona Fall League. MLB clubs share/populate a team with their very best prospects. Each club contributes a few of their highest ranked prospects amd shares a team with several other clubs, the league plays games in the Phoenix area, and is a springboard to MLB (or at least an invite to MLB camp). Guys playing in the AFL are viewed as the best of the best of the upper level MILB players.  Its an honor and a fast track to MLB for these guys. 

[There is also an Arizona Instructional League for newer draftees, where each team populates the entire roster with promising lower level players. It is an honor, but also really extends the season for younger, inexperienced players.]

For those interested in the HS/college issue, note that 4 HS guys and 2 college guys are now playing at the same level; there was no time advantage to signing out of HS. Moreover, the college kids miss/look back with fondness at their college team and college life. (I think this feeling is virtually universal amongst college draftees.) That is NOT the way MILB players look at their time; proball is NOT about the team and not about building a network of life-long friends. (This played out at my son's wedding where he had over two dozen college teammates but only 2 pro teammates present.)

A HS kid gives up so much by going pro; and most of what is given up cannot be replaced later.