Skip to main content

Reply to "CollegeRecruting who's more intriguing"

6’4” 155 sounds incredibly unhealthy, as a Junior.  It would make sense to question a kids work ethic with that type of frame, just 2 years removed from a college campus

Not really, adolescents have little control over when they can put size on, I went from 5'8" 105 as a high school freshman to 6'3 135 (yup 135) as a junior (and all that came mostly in one year) to 6'3 205 sophomore year of college 35 years ago, body just grew up before the muscle came.  Jumping from 75mph in high school to 86 mph in college.  Just a late bloomer, sometimes work ethic has nothing to do with it.  Of course nobody had HS pitchers weight lifting like they do now, not that it would have done me much good before 16.   Trust me I know enough to know 77MPH doesn't get you anywhere today and it was a good number, similar to mine, outside of today's recruit-able range to emphasize the "potential", but I also know it's not really that unheard of to gain 10mph in a little more than a year.  We've also seen it in our program multiple times.