Skip to main content

Reply to "CollegeRecruting who's more intriguing"

@TPM posted:

So if you had the answers, why did you ask in the first place?

Nothing I responded with was an answer to the scenario I posted.  

The reason I asked was hoping to get a Scout or Recruiter's opinion, you know, an expert who does it currently or in the recent past, based on posting in the topic area of  "Ask A Scout".  I have my opinion, I have my experience and I have plenty of opinions from those related to baseball but not recruiters specifically, plus the hundreds of layman who responded to the tweet.  The most common answer from the group I know is the 6'4" kid at this stage but those answers are based on what people, who are not recruiters, think.  I also know if you look up and down most college rosters, 90% of the pitchers are  6'3 plus, unless they are left handed.  I'd say under 6'3 is an outlier.  So putting one out there with a 70poo FB and extreme height/weight ratio vs good velocity but below avg height with elite strength, helps identify if "tall and lanky" is a stronger variable than mph when projecting potential.

Again I wasn't looking for answers on a specific height, weight, mph etc. or opinions on health or commitment, just what variables in the debate I read garnered higher weighting in a recruiters decision.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to answer and special thanks to those who qualified their opinions stating it was based on your or your child's experience.  That is valuable to know also.  I do appreciate all of your answers.

If I can find the original tweet that spawned this query, I'll post it.