Skip to main content

Reply to "CollegeRecruting who's more intriguing"

Scouts aren't looking at anyone throwing under 80 summer before senior year.  Recruiters for D2, D3 might give a tall kid a chance?  You don't really have to be a recruiter to know what they look for.  It's pretty easy after your kid has gone through it.  There are so many kids of all sizes that are throwing really hard, that not hitting specific velocity  is now the easiest eliminator.  My son was 6'2 180 end of sophomore year.  He got zero offers until he hit 90.  He had several coaches following him because he was consistently 87-89, but the offers waited for 90-91.  I can tell you what I told him after a game where he let up on velocity to make sure he had a ton of strikes...sadly, you can throw a no hitter at 84-85 and no one will care.  It is really a different ball game. I just watched a kid playing in summer league who was number 46 on the draft board after his senior year in hs.  He is a covid freshman throwing 97, he sits on the bench at his P5, next to my son who is a true freshman who ended his hs ranked as a top 30 rhp pitcher in the nation, throwing 96...the competition is stiff and being realistic is very important.