Skip to main content

Reply to "Colleges in the Northeast"

@HSDad22 posted:

Okay, I live in New England and seriously I am chuckling at combining the words Northeast and Strong D1 baseball program.  These opinions are based entirely on baseball and not the quality of the school.

The Northeast has a very limited number of D1 college programs, and all have been mentioned. Take out Pennsylvania and NY you have many fewer.  West of PA is the midwest and south of NY is the Mid-Atlantic (I'd say that's most NE views).  hell the NE is losing programs faster than you can say "darn it's cold".  UNH, BU, Providence, Vermont) and others are dropping divisions, ie Hartford.

There is nothing I would traditionally call a strong baseball program.  BC hasn't been in ACC that long and not all P5 schools are strong programs just like not every D3 is a HA.

IF you consider ranking outside the top 100 still a strong program, then I guess these are considerations.

BC and Northeastern are improving their play by grad transfers - BC has the new Pete Frates facilities and at least you get to play against good teams.

Uconn just built an entirely new facility that rivals many of the top in the country, and hope to have that appeal to recruits.  They've produced players such as Springer, Barnes and Oberg.  I think they really want to be a destination program for the Northeast.  Will it work? Who knows.

Bryant had some good years (ie played competitively against other parts of the country) I think they swept E. Carolina in a weekend and that propelled them to some level of respectability (locally), but really still pretty D1 irrelevant.

URI and Umass Amherst, okay not much to say here, they are polar opposites URI better baseball Umass better school.

Holy Cross - Patriot league, enough said.

You also have programs I call D1NO (in name only).  Merrimack, Umass-Lowell, Stonehill, etc.   Great hockey, though.

If I had to chose one of the d1 programs in the northeast not named Harvard or Yale.   I'd go Uconn, BC, Northeastern, Bryant.  And it's uconn only because they are pouring money into it, and hadn't had plenty of time and resources to do so before (talking about you BC).  Northeastern is intriguing because of their coach, a local product from Billerica, you might know his brother.

I think RJM mentioned that the talent (pitching) from the NE the last several years have migrated to Vandy, Virginia, Clemson, etc and of all places Michigan (Brrrr).

Oh, I did forget the Maine Black Bears, at one time was a top 20 team I think back in the day, but just now a place to say you played D1 baseball.

You don't consider UCONN a traditionally strong D1 program?