Skip to main content

Reply to "Colleges in the Northeast"

@HSDad22 posted:

Wow, where did you read nasty into any of that.  Just not blowing smoke, nor is anything mean.  The OP said baseball was the driving factor, the fact her son has great grades was not relevant to the discussion.  Everybody else went there with the quality of the school ignoring her request.

OP Quote:  "Haha, by great I probably should have specified GREAT BASEBALL PROGRAM. Academics aren’t a huge issue provided they have his major. Good academics are fine, elite not necessary if that makes sense."

Everyone jumped on the HA thing because reality check, Northeast D1 schools don't have "strong" baseball programs, they have strong Academic programs.  This is not a case of trying to get into a good school and using baseball to do so.

Travel programs up here pump up these schools baseball and talk about "if you don't believe how good the baseball is just go to a game" rhetoric, because they sell getting people's kids in college baseball, but know for 99% their only chance at placing them are D3 NE schools despite every kid listing Vandy on their Target school list.  The big thing now are D2's as the end all be all of most placement.

Nobody said it wasn't a great thing to get money to help go to school or even reaching to get into a better school because of baseball, nor would I ever want a program to fail.  That's an absurd comment.  Also a great player here or there that makes it doesn't necessarily mean the program is great, especially if the coaching staff is not the same.  Nor does my opinion of the program itself imply certain individual players there are not diamonds in the rough.

To the OP @Northeastmom:  if your son is pumping 90 as a sophomore and can spin the ball, every single one of these schools will have real interest.  Especially with the grades, it means more merit money and less scholly money required by the coach, and he can get you through admissions.  Do not agree to Early Decision because he will have options and you don't find out about FA support or merit academic money till after he is accepted by admissions (unless maybe coach spills the beans?).  If that's not an issue, then find the best fit and go ED.

I do think BC and Northeastern will come back down to the planet once they don't have 6 year seniors and hopeful grad transfers, both found their late bloomers from D3 programs pumping mid 90's to fill out their pitching rotations.

And based on all this harsh criticism, I still think Uconn is the best option.  And no I don't consider them a traditionally strong baseball program, they're more like a new really good program.

I think some examples you used to put down NE programs, (grad transfers, facility improvements) could be applied to many schools looking to improve their programs.