Skip to main content

Reply to "Colleges in the Northeast"

Thanks everyone for the help with this. I also realized that looking at PG and PBR rankings for the class or two above helps. I can see where kids ranked around my kid landed. It is eye opening how few options there are in the Northeast at certain levels.

PG and PBR rankings mean zero, nothing, nada. Do not fixate on them. If you want eye opening - look how many highly ranked players are still with their original program 2-3 years after their grad year. See how many have thrown more than 20 innings a year or got 25+ ABs - to me those numbers are eye opening.

He needs the opinion of a trusted unbiased source who is familiar with his game. Unfortunately PBR and PG are not familiar with the games of players outside the top 10-15 in each state. This is typically where the travel coach comes in and says where would you like to go. Then he takes your list and says I see you playing here, here, and here - let's reach out and see what the feedback is, or let me make some calls and get some eyes on you. Then you either proceed with the original list or you broaden the search.

Do not look at the ranked players in your area. In my state, in just one year, excluding the kids who  drafted/signed - 6 out of the top 20 are still at their original school contributing valuable innings.

I've been to countless events where I've seen "highly ranked" players. And I think good, but I don't see them playing at Vanderbilt, UNC, Texas, etc. And it almost always works out that way.

Long story short. Forget the rankings, forget the commitments. Sit down with someone who knows his game well, evaluate, communicate, then get feedback from college coaches and not guys selling subscriptions and apparel.