Skip to main content

Reply to "Colleges with JV teams"

While I am sure there are exceptions out there, my understanding is that JV college teams should be avoided at all costs.  Unless you're 100% fine staying put on a JV college team and not playing much baseball. 

There is a powerhouse Juco about 15 minutes from here.  They have a JV team but you'd only know it exists if you were a part of it.  Their roster, schedule, results, etc is nowhere to be found online.  If that doesn't scream "the JV squad only exists to help fund the actual baseball program" I don't know what does.  Their current "varsity" roster has about 10 guys (of 51) from our area on it that are either former teammates and/or close acquaintances of my 2021 son.  Guess how many are on their JV squad?  Zero.  Despite being that close to the program, we can't name a single kid on their JV roster.  It's as if it doesn't exist, yet we know it does.

I've been told that - at least for Jucos - the varsity HC must coach the JV squad as well as varsity.  That it can't simply be something you staff with anyone.  That a HC must be around the JV program in good faith (or at least appear as good faith). Under that premise, I was told the JV team doesn't practice very much and that their schedule is very short.  Like 12-18 games.  To be fair, this is not information I've verified, so all of it might be wrong. But it lines up pretty well with what we DO know.