Skip to main content

Reply to "Collegiate Summer Ball 2014 Winding Down"

Chef,

Your son should broach it with his coach not long after he gets to campus. Teams have already started recruiting teams for next year. I know coaches are already reaching out to summer teams for next year as well. 

You must be speaking of the new team in Springfield. They are a new/transferred team. they were set up on relatively short notice. last year. They may not have had time to set up host families. I have known teams to set up players in Dorm rooms. I believe when the Settlers of the Great Lakes league started out in Granville, at Denison University they initially set up players in Denison's Dorm. Believe me that must have been an uncomfortable experience. Being in a dorm room in Ohio, in the summer, with out AC must have been miserable. But they eventually were able to get Host families. As the team builds relationships in communities they usually get host families and other support for the athletes.

But that brings up another point. Teams do not only want good Baseball players they also want good people. As I stated earlier, most of the teams rely on community support. A few bad apples can ruin years of work a teams builds within a community. I know of a team that lost many of their host families from earlier years due to the behavior of the players they brought in. They struggled the following year to find places to house players and they had to rely on a motel and rental housing for many of their players. Many of the schools that were re-presented on that roster in the past are no longer there. Many of these young men will be on there own in an others home for the first time and they need to understand how to behave and not bow to peer pressure.