Skip to main content

Reply to "Collegiate Summer Ball 2014 Winding Down"

My son, a RHP,  had a brief stint with the Prospect league last year. We have a local team, stadium is 15 minutes from our house. He joined the team for approx.. 1 month and after only 2 appearances and 2 IP he decided to go back to his local adult men’s league and get some additional innings. He is the one that approached the coach and told him he enjoyed his time with the team but he needed to get some work in, they parted on good terms.

This year he was approached by another team in the Prospect league that would have required him to live out of town. We looked at their 1st half schedule, calculated the travel hours and declined. He would have spent approx.. 60+ hours on a bus in the 1st month. Sleeping in your own bed and eating mom's food is tough to pass up. He opted for a more local collegiate wood bat http://www.tsclb.com/      league that played less games, 1 mid week game and double headers on Saturday and Sunday. Being a pitcher he was only required to be there the day he pitched. This league cost us $300 to participate.  This worked out great for him as he was able to work out and also had a part time job. ( plus kept my grass mowed). He probably approached 40 innings with that team.  They wrapped up their season last week.

He has again joined the local team in the Prospect league. Pitchers are constantly in demand in these leagues, some get shut down by their college coaches, others get hurt, etc.  He will probably finish out the year coming out of the pen. There is no player cost involved with the Prospect league.  They play a 60 game schedule with playoffs at the end of the season. The out of town players stay with host families, the majority of which have remained the same over the years. Our neighbors have hosted players for the last 3-4 years. The reward is season tickets for the host family. NCAA regulations don’t permit free tickets to the local kid’s families. So my cost there is purchasing tickets and enjoying the icy cold $3.00 Labatt’s drafts!

His local team consisted of similar talent as the Prospect League, both have a collection of D-1 through JC players. The players could possibly be exchanged and the records might not change a lot. But I only went to watch the 1st league when my son pitched and have only been to a handful of Prospect league games this season…

The biggest difference is the atmosphere, Prospect league games have a minor league game feel. Crowds have been 4-600 range, The 1st game my son pitched in was fireworks night so there were over 1,200 in the crowd. The other league was lucky to have 50-75 people at games.  PA announcers, between inning contest, music,  etc. make the games entertaining. I think my son enjoys that as much as the ball game.

It is a grind for the players, after long college seasons many are ready for a break. The Prospect league has some long bus rides. Since last year after the Slippery Rock, Pa team was relocated to Ill. or Indiana and the divisions play each other more often the travel has really increased. Like a poster stated before the playoffs aren’t a goal for some, but I have seen nothing but 100% effort when any player hits the field.

For the recent commits, all decisions on any of his team selections have gone through his present college coach. Even on the recruiting trail you never know who you’re going to hook up with down the line. The assistant coaches for many programs are heavily involved in these summer programs, my son was recruited out of HS by coaches that have become his summer managers and coaches

Here is a great story about a kid that just joined the team my son also plays for. From intern to the mound. I got to the stadium last night in the 6th inning.  I didn’t know this kids background until after I watched him pitch, good stuff! 

http://www.butlerbluesox.net/