Skip to main content

Reply to "Collegiate Summer Ball 2014 Winding Down"

One week prior to the end of PO Jr's freshman year, HC told him you are going to this team for summer ball. Wanted him to get some starts as all his 20 innings came in relief. Gets home Sunday, leave for summer team Wednesday! 6-7 hour drive. Pitches in relief opening game Friday and gets the save.

Team pays for gas to get there, apartment next to the field, some food paid for and lots of free gear. They get paid to do camps or have the opportunity to get part time job in local businesses.

Most games are at home, great fan base, 800-1600 each game. He's had time to go to the gym 5 days a week to get stronger? He has appeared in 10 games, 3 starts and will get his final start tonight. He pitched over 30 innings and should finish with 35-40.

He has also made some great friends, got to experience some of the local sights and flavors. The other day he said he was ready to come home, but wanted to stay to the end so he could get the max innings available. They play 48 games with no league play offs. This year they had no league association so that enabled them to chose who to play. They played mostly other wood bat collegiate teams, but also played some semi pro teams with guys older that had graduated and played some minor league ball. That was interesting.

He comes home this Monday the 4th and has to be back at school on the 15th. He will shut down his arm for 6-8 weeks.

Overall, I think it was a great experience for him. For me, I was only able to get to 4 games, that was hard. Luckily, most were boardcast on the Internet.