Skip to main content

Reply to "Collegiate Summer Baseball 2022"

The kid is 2/3 through his college league. He missed 4 games due to his state chip and work. He started off terrible 9Ks in first 7 games and barely above the Mendoza line with only 1 extra base hit, almost as productive as Joey Gallo. I am sure those calls to his coach was not pleasant. Of course I was lamenting to my wife he is over cooked trying to manage working 6 days, training playing 2x a week and having a girlfriend and he is half arsing it...a real dog days of summer for her ears! Anyway, I knew it was getting bad as he asked me for help and take him hitting. I really did try to be like an HR derby pitching coach, but he made the mistake of asking me about his swing and timing and l went into hitting coach mode, but kept it amicable. We did work on some timing drills and using the camera (no Blast, kinda annoyed me but again I kept it amicable and let it go) to make sure when was on plane. We left it the session with our relationship intact so it was good.  The last 2 weeks he has been on a tear hitting a couple of HRs (one oppo) and a game winner against his former travel team. He won some league recognition which was nice. I would like to take credit but it was him and he has been getting lots of live ABs at his training facility with many high level pitchers. His college coach is pleased so his baseball life is back on track.

The games are usually laid back with the exception of a crazy parent belittling his kid. The players and parents are into the games, but the coaches are very laid back and the intensity is very low, unlike HS ball. They have 2 more weekend before a single elimination tourney the he is off for August before going to school in September. Of course we still can't take a real vacation as my youngest is in training for HS football 6 days a week. It looks like the end of fall will be our trip to somewhere I hope