Skip to main content

Reply to "Collegiate Summer Baseball 2022"

My kid played his first and only playoff game for his collegiate summer league team. The team attitude drastically changed from a very laid back atmosphere, fun times in the dugout regular season to an intense field practicing then hours in the facility cages on the hack attack the night before the play off game. I was unable to attend but wife told me the dugout on both sides treated it like a conference chip, no more banter with their opponent and only cheering for their team. The day game schedule meant the team did not have their best pitchers (work?) but the team did grind. They played on a local D2 field where the kid played throughout his HS career (won 2 Chips there) so it was like home field to him. He hit a monster oppo shot HR and hard single, a great 2 for 2 day. Of course wife forgets to video it. She will tape him sleeping in the car like a creepy stalker but forget to record his play off ABs...arghhhhhh. Anyway, his team got out hit and lost 6-4 and the season was over. I am mad at myself, for the hubris of assuming they were a lock to play the next game which was on tomorrow night so I didn't have to move mountains on my work schedule. He was invited to play in the league's all star game next week and that really will be his last game. The wife was emotional seeing the kid full of joy and not fear, doubt and frustration from constantly recovering from injuries. His old HS team mates came to game and wife told me they went nuts on the HR. I have not reflected on this but I will and it will hit me like a ton of emotional bricks thinking about my son moving on to the next stage of his career.  I am glad he stayed local rather head upstate to play, we did have some quality time with him and he totally proved me wrong as he was able to be disciplined to work, train, make his games, spend time with his family and girl friend and do it successfully.  Luckily the all star game is at night so I can go to his last game unencumbered from work. We will take 2 cars so I can drive home without him and empty the kleenex box without shame.