Skip to main content

Reply to "Colonial District Predictions"

MidloDad said....
quote:
4. The MPH you need to be a pro prospect is more than you need to be a D-1 prospect, which is more than you need to be a D-3 prospect, which is more than you need to be considered a hard thrower at the HS level. So, you can be topping out at 85 and still be a hard thrower at the high school level. 85 makes you a D-3 prospect, a D-1 long shot, and undrafted as far as the pros go.

It is about velocity IF your son is considering playing beyond HS. Velocity is what the college scouts are focused on right or wrong. College pitching coaches will then teach your son the finer points of pitching every day. I've had this discussion with Midlo before and he is absolutely right. I'm seeing this dynamic from a different & new perspective (son is a college freshmen pitcher).

I bought that load of **** that college scouts were looking for "pitchability" when my son was being recruited. I thought pitchability was getting batters out and being smart about your pitches. From my new perspective, pitchability (to a college pitching coach) is throwing hard, learning new pitching and training techniques, and working hard to build your body to compete for starting pitcher spot on a college team.

Prep Ballfan said:
quote:
All good info Midlo, but my point has been all along that people overstate these stats.

I call it the Daddy discount. Take 3-5mph off of anything a Dad says about his sons MPH on the mound. Wink
Last edited by fenwaysouth