Skip to main content

Reply to "Colorado Pitch Count Limits"

Stats4Gnats posted:

roothog66 posted:

56 is how the site director read it, too. To me this seems intuitively wrong. I had thought it was pretty clear when the rules were written that the purpose of this is entirely indicated with the second sentence and not to limit a pitcher in the above situation to 56 pitches a day after throwing 4. Surely the intent was to stop teams from avoiding the pitch count limits by, say, throwing a kid 34-34-34 pitches in consecutive days without rest. Reading that first line strictly would totally negate the entire chart. Any pitcher throwing 61 pitches in a single game inherently has thrown more than 60 pitches in two days and, thus, violated the rule.

I think if written as to properly articulate the purpose it would have read more like:

"additionally, any pitcher throwing 60 or more pitches in two days must rest a minimum of one day before pitching again."

As interpreted you have an addendum that covers only 60 pitches, no more or no less.

I’m not sure what the issue here is but for a different reason. Was there no other player on the team who could have finished the Fri game?

I wouldn’t get too bothered by these little hiccups in the 1st year of a new pitch limits rule. The 1st year LLI put the rule in for real there were all kinds of hitches in the giddyup but they eventually got worked out. It’s a new world and the rules are going to need to be figgered out and adjusted if necessary.

FWIW, I think I’d have said he was limited to 56 the 2nd day as well.

Yeah, but for the entire season we had been interpreting it as exceeding 59 pitches in two days simply meant a day's rest. So, our coaching staff didn't see it as a problem. In the end, it didn't matter because our relief guy pitched just fine. It seems odd to have a rest period that only covers one exact number of pitches.

It just stands to reason that if the intent was to keep a team from throwing 34 and then 110 then they would have used a number higher than 60. I have to believe the intent of the rule was to keep teams from using the 0-34 count as a loophole. I think it was just badly written. To strictly read "no pitcher may throw more than 60 pitches over two days" you would have to say pitching 110 in a single day would not be allowed under the rule. If you throw 61 pitches on Friday, you've exceeded 60 in a two day period.

However, I'm interested that most here didn't read it as I did.