Skip to main content

Reply to "Colorado Pitch Count Limits"

roothog66 posted:
TPM posted:

Root,

Are you saying if a pitcher throws 110 pitches in three days he can throw another 110, in 6 days that's 220 pitches total?  Do they do that?

I have only found one pitcher that has been overused like this. He is a senior and was overused as a junior as well. I do have a problem with the days of rest. Every state so far has limited it to three days. I believe someone has to step up and add a day to each of those pitch counts. Most schedules don't lend themselves to the opportunity to do what you mention, however.

The Oregon rules, going into effect next season, do mandate 4 days rest after 86 pitches.

All levels 110 pitches/day max (Varsity and SubVarsity)

125 pitches = 0 days rest (Level Zero)

2645 pitches = 1 day rest (Level One)

4660 pitches = 2 days rest (Level Two)

6185 pitches = 3 days rest (Level Three)

86+ pitches = 4 days of rest (Level Four)

*If a pitcher had thrown 61‐85 pitches (Level Three) in the previous game, on his third day of rest he would be eligible to throw a maximum of 45 pitches (Level Two). If he threw less than 25 pitches on that third rest day, he would then be eligible to throw the next day with a 110‐pitch maximum. If he threw 26‐45 pitches on that third rest day, he would need one full day of rest prior to pitching again.

*If a pitcher had thrown 86‐110 pitches (Level Four) in the previous game, on his fourth day of rest he would be eligible to throw a maximum of 25 pitches (Level Zero). Following the 25 pitch day, he would then be eligible to throw the next day with a 110‐pitch maximum.