Skip to main content

Reply to "Columbia Baseball Program"

I do know one local kid who made Columbia and was a contributing P as a Freshman. Under 6', sat 84-5. No idea of his academics. He was not a star in HS. My son remembered hitting him pretty hard. Having said that, he seemed to be one of those kids who it all came together for at just the right time. I saw him at an August HA camp just before senior year, and he was one of, if not the best P out there. Great command, sharp breaking pitch, could spot the fastball. Made the hitters look overmatched. I am guessing Boretti saw him(this was LI) and made a judgement call, even though he didn't have outstanding numbers or projectable size. Turns out he was right, and the kid had a good year in college.

I always like to remember stories like this. Makes me hopeful that it isn't all about velo and size. I've seen HS kids adjust to upper 80's FB's thrown up in the zone, and the same kids get destroyed by an intelligent P who maxes out at 85, but can actually pitch.

I've heard good things about Boretti, and the field looks great. Gotta want to be a city guy to go there, of course.