Skip to main content

Reply to "Columbia University"

Gov,

My two cents.....I don't think you are going to find a much different academic recruit profile from Columbia from the other Ivys.  The academic metrics are pretty straight forward and well documented on a thousand threads on HSBBWeb. You either have those academic metrics or you don't.  The difference is the coaching and getting committments from the athletes you really want over the schools that want that recruit.  Columbia has won the conference 2013, 2014 and 2015 which is a lot harder to do than most people understand because athletic scholarships are not in play and you do rely on a contribution from every class including freshmen who can have an impact.  My son was on the Ivy last team to win the conference not named Columbia.   So, from my vantage point (on paper and seeing them in person for many years),  Columbia has out recruited its counterparts with quality and quantity every year and Boretti is a really good game coach.    So in years past many Ivy schools will get on average 8 recruits per year.  A couple to a few of those recruits may be future starters or competing for starting positions.  What I think Columbia has done is get more of those quality players for itself which leads to more internal competition and quality, but also keeps more players at Columbia that might have gone to another school in the conference.

The other thing is Columbia is trying to recruit players that want to go to school in NYC.  Let's face it NYC as a world class location and future opportunities is going to be a bigger draw (in general) for many over other Ivy cities such as Boston, New Haven, Providence, Philadelphia.  Princeton, Hanover and Ithaca are more rural or small cities.

Columbia has some momentum for sure.  Let's see how they do this year.  They've lost their pitching coach who took a similiar position with an ACC school.  I can't blame him for wanting to take a step up.   But winning 4 championships in a row would be a tremendous feat.   I'm betting against it.

As always, JMO.