Skip to main content

Reply to "Commit official visit"

@Francis7 posted:

My friend's son is a 2021 who is playing at a D3. Reports to school in about 3 weeks.

Before he graduated HS but after he committed, the school had him come stay with the team (in the fall of his senior year). He was there for 2 or 3 days, stayed overnight with the players, ate with the team, practiced with them, etc.

Is this something that most schools do?

This is something a lot of schools do if they are serious about a recruit.   As TPM noted, it is different between NCAA divisions.   D1 schools can provide some financial means for an official visit, however most D1 recruits are committing before the NCAA official visit dates...which means they are visiting the school unofficially and making a decision.   In the case of the D3 schools there is no such thing as an Official Visit only Unofficial Visits where the recruit has to pay his own way.    Many D3 schools get around this by providing an academic visit that is coordinated between Admissions and Athletics.    My son did a fair number of both D1 and D3 visits, and it was a great experience overall to identify if the school and baseball program was a fit or not a fit.

PS...It used to be that only D2 schools allow a recruit to actually play or practice...not D1 or D3.   I'm pretty sure that is still the case.   That seems "off" to me.

Last edited by fenwaysouth